Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Arriving in Delhi.

I arrived late on October 4 (actually October 5) at Hotel Ajanta in Delhi. During my flight to Delhi I experienced my first reminders from one of our readings for pre-residence, Craig Storti's Speaking of India. Storti provides an overview of Indian culture and communication styles, mannerisms, etiquette, use of personal space, etc., was confirmed as any sense of personal space I had disappeared on the plane as my fellow passengers seemed quite nonplussed by sleeping against me, elbowing me, sandwiching me while getting off the plane, etc.

My hotel driver was in the terminal with my name on a sign as I arrived but as we walked to the car park I received nothing but intense stares from men. (And I'm not talking about a prolonged glance, but drop-everything-you're-doing stares.) I woke my sleeping roommates and fellow students Anika, Claire, and Melissa, and Anika's friend Nicholas visiting from Damascus. I only slept about 4 hours and woke to the early dawn in Delhi and listened to the city wake up. The sun burned bright fuchsia due to the pollution, and I watched from my 4th floor balcony as residents started their day which includes sweeping doorways, starting fires, and washing cows. I sipped my coffee that had magically appeared out of nowhere, and enjoyed the peace and quiet while it lasted before I truly started my grand adventure.

During some 30 hours cramped in an airplane seat on my journey to India and back, I meditated on what personal space means to me. Why do I care of someone stands to close to me, rests their head against my shoulder, or pushes me in a lineup?

My reflection

Upon reflection, I've realized being in India is that personal space--or space in general--is a luxury we enjoy in Canada. India has more than a billion people and a land mass about a third of Canada's. With many things of abundance, I don't place the same value it when it is in abundance; only when it because a scarcity do I treasure it, even covet it. Personal space is one of those things I take for granted, not unlike access to water, good food, personal opportunities, or love. And when personal space is taken away, I viewed Indians' "invasion" of my space as being pushy or disrespectful, even violating. Of course the intend was probably none of those things, because personal space doesn't carry the same meaning for Indians; another example of how a cultural difference can be manifested.

No comments:

Post a Comment