Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gujerat, the dry state.

Tomorrow we leave for Goa, which, unlike Gujerat, is not a dry state. The look of shock on 30 students' faces upon discovering that Gujerat is completely alcohol free, was plainly obvious. For me, who admittedly enjoys a glass or two of wine rather frequently, the news came as a shock, particularly as we'd just been in the dry town of Pushkar and I was looking forward to cold glass of beer or a frosty margarita, which in my view are necessary pairings with 30-plus degree heat and a tropical vacation.

What I learned from this

This experience is as much about doing things differently as anything else. I have become accustomed to having access to certain things when I want them; clean water, safe food, and a decent bottle of California red. From the academic articles I've read on tourism, this is not unusual. Tourists want to experience "untouched" or "unspoiled" spaces, but still want wifi and hamburgers on the menu. While I thought I was not like that, perhaps I am? Admittedly, I thought the absence of alcohol would somehow take away from the overall experience and put a damper on the celebratory atmosphere, and I can't say if it did or didn't – it was what it was. It didn't diminish my experience, but it did change it. I found delicious replacements for cocktails; a lemon or mango lassi (yogurt blended with fruit and honey) and lime sodas (fresh lime, sugar, and soda). While no substitute for a good Shiraz, I found going dry involuntarily for 10 days almost a liberating experience. It allowed me to question my expectations and needs and become just a little bit closer to the Gujerati lifestyle that went beyond buying some cool comfortable Indian-style clothes and eschewing meat for a month (most Indians are vegetarians). In my own meager way, these few simple acts brought me greater understanding of Indian lifestyles, at least on the periphery.

1 comment:

  1. Tonight I'll try that fresh lime, sugar - I'll go with honey - and soda. It appeals more to me than wine does, tho' I keep trying!

    Just back from four weeks away so I'm starting your blogs from the top . . .

    ReplyDelete