Friday, October 1, 2010

Welcome, and Namaste.

This is what we call, in the academic world, a reflexive documentary, where I “narrate and reflect” on my India experiences as a kind of cultural self-assessment. As a female, white, Westerner with an air conditioned office, nice paycheque and a dental plan, how does going to India for a month help me come to terms, or even redefine, my identity? How can it make me a better communicator by understanding others better?

And what is that identity? I may think of myself as a traveller, not a tourist, but that may be an old story that I play in my head. When was the last time I truly challenged myself as unscripted traveller moving beyond the safety of the tourist enclave? It’s been a while. My life is very comfortable. Perhaps I’ve drifted into a comfortable complacency. Surely, spending a month in a country with where schedules are just a rough guideline, “no” is communicated simply by not saying “yes”, and the sheets are less than 400 thread count is sure to shake me loose.

My intent is to come back with new insights, and perspective, (a bonus would be 10 pounds lighter). To help achieve this, I’ll draw on what India is known for – mysticism and spirituality. I’ll use meditation to reflect on my experiences. My aim is one meditation a day. We’ll just have to see what comes up.

See you on here.

9 comments:

  1. Ton- watch what you wish for - 10 pounds lighter when traveling in India could happen over a day or two after eating something not so right! I am so excited for you and know that you will get a lot out of this experience - both academically and personally. I will look forward to checking in everyday - and will be happy to see no pokes on me in this blog. ha ha. I love the title. So far, so good.

    I wish you a wonderful adventure and enriching experience. Will look forward to seeing you when you are home safely.
    Lots of love and good karma being sent to you from me and Bevan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - can everyone see my comments or just you. (obviously I am not the communication major!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namaste to you too, Tonya. Happy trails, be safe. Looking forward to reading your updates, as a vicarious armchair traveller myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels my little sister. If you really want to be more than a tourist or traveller, you could always pick up some property on the beach there... then you'd be an expat land owner! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, I look forward to following along on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to your reflections....
    Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you success on your journey and looking forward to read your experiences. Remember, photos say more than a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi T,
    Have a great trip. I'm sure that spending one month away and taking the time to reflect on your interactions with the immediate world around you will truely be a rewarding experience. An experience that words can't describe!

    My best advice is to sometimes take the less beaten path and let things happen and live in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always' In The Mudra' for you baby!
    Wish that I could be there with you but hey, somebody has to stay behind and water the plants. Look forward to your observations, insights and all the wonderful presents you will be bringing home for me :)

    Much love and Hugs.

    Cal

    ReplyDelete